Friday, June 18, 2010

Yay Thrift Store Find!!!

So even though we've only lived in our house a little under 2 months (holy crap!) I have already felt the need for a sideboard/buffet in the dining room. Our kitchen is seriously lacking on upper cabinet space, and I don't like putting food or table settings down low. The first for sanitary reasons, the second, because that would be annoying. So I'd been shopping around and I'd found a few I liked but they were pricey (we're talking 300 bucks, insane!) and I was also keeping an eye on craigslist and the thrift stores.

Last night I went to Ann Arbor PTO thrift store, and I found something SWEET! Please excuse the lovely cell phone picture, it's the only one I've got right now:

I heart this dresser! I bought it for 75 bucks and we're picking it up early next week. From my inspection appears to be solid wood. The drawers don't have tracks (but they work quite well), and it's actually a pretty heinous yellowish color, but wow, the detailing rocks! And it would definitely have enough room for all our dishes and serverware and placemats, etc. Since it's a dresser it has an attached mirror (you can see the bottom of it there in the top left). It has the same detailing as the drawers. I'm going to detach that, strip it, and probably paint it black and hang it in the entry.

The dresser definitely needs to be sanded and refinished (some sizable scratches), but I'm not sure what to refinish it with. We could try to match/coordinate with the multitude of oak that we have in the kitchen:
Or I could paint it black to go with a lot of our other storage furniture:
 
 Or I could do contrasting stain to emphasize the decoration:
 Or I could paint it black and do white (or another contrasting color, or stain) on the drawer fronts:
Excuse the crappy photoshops, I didn't have a lot of time. Also I'm definitely going to put new brushed nickel hardware on there. Any thoughts? Other ideas I haven't thought of?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the comment. I have been keeping up with the journal relatively well.

    Love the sideboard. I'm totally plain jane, so I would go solid black (totally boring). But, I think it would look great regardless.

    ReplyDelete