Friday, July 9, 2010

Mirror Mirror on the Wall...

So when we bought our awesome dresser-turned-sideboard it came with a big mirror attached (off-center for some reason). After much to-do, the mirror has finally been brought new life!

I thought it would be nice to have a mirror in the entryway. You know, so I can make sure before I run out the door that I haven't forgotten anything important. Like pants. But I didn't want to hang it in its original state. It just looked a little fuddy-duddy.

So I got to work sanding sanding sanding. I also went and bough some Krylon enamel. You know the stuff that looks like a super glossy black car by the time you're done? Yeah that stuff.

Since I wasn't sure how it would come off the mirror (didn't want to take a chance, I'd never used that type of paint before) I carefully taped the edge, then taped newspaper down to that over the mirror itself:

 As you can see, my workspace was a lovely plastic painting dropcloth on the floor of our equally lovely garage (heavy sarcasm intended). I'd really like to fix it up someday. Then I got to spraying:

When it was still wet it looked like crap and I started freaking out. It was all uneven looking, and then Brian opened the garage door and tons of particles flew into it... So after it dried I sanded those areas down and repainted them. After sending Brian to Home Depot for another can of enamel as punishment of course.

After that was done it actually looked pretty good! There are a couple spots that weren't sanded as well as I thought, but at this point I think I'd run more risk of ruining it alltogether then just letting it go. I'm the only one who would see those spots anyway probably.

I then added 2 D rings and 100lb picture wire to the back. Then I found a stud in the wall I wanted, but it wasn't quite on center. Nothing is in our house I don't think, but it was close enough. Then with a big 4 inch nail I hung this sucker:
Woo! And here is a closeup of the bottom detail:
Say it with me:    'oooooh shiny'...

The last 2 pictures are crappy cell phone images. I forgot my camera at work yesterday so I'll have to take real 'afters' later that actually show what it does for the space.

No comments:

Post a Comment