Friday, August 6, 2010

The Battle Continues...

This has been one heck of a summer for trying to set up any kind of landscaping! Once the trees were pulled and the rain stopped it rocketed to 90+ degrees every day. Oh, and we still got a bunch of storms anyway.

So with this, it's been a struggle keeping our pots on the front step alive and the weeds at bay. Our yard had been sorely neglected for years before we came, and unfortunately improvements have been slow. We did not get it mulched this year which is part of the weed problem, but also they got a head start!

I'm almost embarrassed to show these pictures because they really show how we've done NOTHING this summer. But remember, we did get a bunch of trees pulled in June. Now, the image on the top is what happened in the week between weeding sessions. The one on the bottom is after an hour of weeding:


There was more that was weeded in that hour, but you get the idea. One week! That's all! The knarly looking thing that's still on the far end there is actually a rosebush that was getting choked. I think it will be ok. The roses over there need pruning but are doing quite well.

The other issue is of course our flowerpots. In ONE night they went from this:

To this:

WTH??!!?? When I came out of the house Tuesday morning I almost cried. They'd been doing fine all summer (I had to break up a fight or two between the strangler vine petunias and the begonias but other then that...) and in one night they both just died. And it really doesn't look like it was painless...

So I got the tallest mums ever instead:


It's almost time to pull out the late summer/fall wreath too! Brian won't let me yet though. In other but related news I got new garden gloves and I love them:

No comments:

Post a Comment