Monday, August 16, 2010

Musings on Trees

Sorry for the lack of pictures in this post, but it's called 'Musings on Trees' and not 'Epic Photo Montage on Trees' for a reason...

So I'm going to be working in the yard tonight. TRYING to make some progress in the 'make our yard not look like crap' department. I'm going to focus on the following:

- Weeding. Again.
- Edging and tilling the entire front planting bed
- Pulling out the 3 hostas on the front of the house (I've tried to save these, but they didn't react well to the sudden onslaught of the sun when trees above them were removed, and I don't think they're coming back)
- Digging extra dirt out of the hole in the middle of the yard (we had a stump pulled from there) putting it against the house to help with our grade and spreading some grass seed there.
- Pruning the roses on the south side.

I doubt I'll get it all done but I'm going to try. I want to plant a tree soon, and maybe the shrubs I've been thinking about as well. I want to put a smallish decorative tree in front of the house on the south end - the side away from the garage. I'm thinking weeping cherry right now, but I'm also considering a redbud or a flowering dogwood. Any suggestions would be awesome! Apparently it works well to plant trees and shrubs in early fall around here so I'd like to do that so we'll have some flowering and such next spring.

And the shrubs I want are dwarf burning bushes, probably 2 of them. I don't know if I'll be able to find them this year though.

1 comment:

  1. Oh yeah, gotta love the yardwork. We love our japanese maple, and it only gets about 10 ft tall. Can't wait to see some progress pics (in a montage of course).

    ReplyDelete