Tuesday, March 26, 2013

SDCC Costume: Zelda Part 4 - Belt/Tabard

Progress has been continuing on the most detail-ridden costume I've ever undertaken. I recently completed (it's a relative term right?) the belt and tabard pieces that hang in front of the skirt. It felt funny making this huge piece to cover the skirt... that I'd been painstakingly detailing for what felt like a lifetime (she says as if THAT step was totally done).

I created the belt with craft foam and chain, following the same process as the shoulder armor

 As before, this step was very messy...

...But it came together pretty easily.

I used a main center gem that I pulled off a clearance necklace from Old Navy. I got the whole necklace for 99 cents - cheaper than buying individual fake gems that size! I then sealed and painted the foam (covering the gem in painter's tape to protect it), added another crystal to the center and built the belt using chain and jewelry rings:

There are also blue cabochons in each of the teardrops, but I don't have a picture with those on yet since I had to order them special. This completes the belt portion, except for adding some paint aging to it, which I'll do a bit later.

Up next is the tabard. I was nervous about this part as it's quite detailed and front-and-center on the costume. After sketching the pattern out on tracing paper (like I did with the skirt embellishments) I was ready to get moving.

I used a mix of different colors of canvas, felt, and the same fake leathers as the skirt. The canvas kept everything nice and stiff which I liked. I had to dye the blue canvas to an ombre from blue to purple. This part went pretty well, which is good because I don't dye things that often so I was nervous. I then had to very carefully mark where to cut the canvas out so that the seam would fit perfectly behind the silver leather detailing and attach it to the green backdrop.

Then I set about cutting out the silver detailing - the most time consuming and messy part of this entire process:
Needless to say I had to keep the cats out of the room for this part. Also I apparently do most of my work directly on the floor.

The fake leather was applied with a strong adhesive, and I was pretty pleased with the result. After adding a bit more detailing in felt I lined the back with more green canvas and called it 'done':

It's difficult to photograph because of the reflection, and as I mentioned I still have to age the belt which is what will really make it look real. Overall I'm satisfied but there are a couple little oops spots that irritate me. My husband thinks I'm insane, but *I* know they are there.

Slowly but surely, it's coming together!

No comments:

Post a Comment